“. . . . from each blank eye socket there peers the reptilian face of an adder; he is coming toward you as you scream, he is whispering: Trips, baby, Captain Trips . . .” (King, Stephen. The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition. New York: Doubleday, 1990. Print.)
There are many reasons why America is done. Here are fifty of them.
Ebola isn’t something to laugh at, but if this PSA saves one life, it will have been worth posting.
Roseann Barr has been on a disgusting pro-Israel rant on Twitter, so I posted the article from WRH The Long Faces at Israel’s Birthday Party. Her Reply?
@CyberDurden ru a jew? bc if ur not, you shouldn’t be such an Imperialist fucktard who knows less than nothing about another ppl.
— Roseanne Barr (@therealroseanne) May 8, 2014
At least she hasn’t lost her knack for raunchiness.
Originally posted at http://www.napl-hs.eu.dodea.edu
History of Naples High School
Formerly Naples American High School
Formerly Forrest Sherman High School
FORMERLY FORREST SHERMAN HIGH SCHOOL
In June of 2001 Naples High School, formerly Forrest Sherman High School, celebrated its 50th anniversary. At the time of the 50th anniversary, Mr. Allan Kuhn, Class of 1953, was very helpful in providing extensive information concerning the early years of the school, which is included in this article. Additionally, a current NAHS faculty member, provided information concerning the later years.
In the summer of 1951, a new NATO southern command was established in Naples, Italy, called Headquarters Allied Forces, Southern Europe (HAFSE). With American high school age students arriving in the command, a small facility was set up in October 1951. Beginning with 7-8 students, it was set up in a spare storage room in the Hotel Britannique in downtown Naples, where many of the families lived. This school program functioned through University of Nebraska high school correspondence courses. It was named the American Forces Dependents High School, Naples, Italy or AFDHS,NI.
During the summer and autumn of 1951, more students arrived and the school was relocated to the Albergo Sant’Elmo, then the NATO Officers’ Club in the Vomero section of Naples. This school of 15-18 students operated until August 1952. High School proctors during this period were Mr. Albert Trimarchi and Mr. Bob Newton. The first graduate of the school was Stewart A Ring.
During this period of September 1951-June 1952 there were a number of students who attended schools in Rome part-time and then returned to Naples. Schools in Rome that students attended included the American Overseas School of Rome (AOSR), the Marymount Convent and the Notre Dame University High School of Rome. Later the Marymount Convent and Notre Dame University schools merged to form a co-ed school.
On October 1, 1952 a standard Department of Defense School was opened in the same location, the Albergo Sant’Elmo, with about 45 students. There were five students in the graduating class that year.
In 1953 members of the senior class suggested that the school be named in honor of Admiral Forrest Sherman, the Chief of Naval Operations, who had died suddenly during that school year during a visit to Naples. The school opened in the fall of 1953 as Forrest Sherman High School. The Ring brothers, Bill and Stewart, suggested the school colors of green and white, after the colors of Coronado High School in San Diego, California. Both brothers had attended Coronado High School prior to their father being assigned to Naples in the summer of 1951. They also suggested the school mascot, the Wildcat, which continues to be the Naples High School mascot. According to the end of year publication, Ciao, there were 58 students that y ear with four graduating seniors.
Due to an increase in enrollment the high school was moved to a larger building on Via Manzoni in the Posillipo section of the city beginning with the 1953-4 school year. That year grades 1-12 were contained in this building under the name Forrest Sherman Schools.
1960 marked the move of Forrest Sherman High School to another building further down Via Manzoni, across the street from the Scuola Svizzera, an international school run by
the Swiss government. The panoramic view from the front of the school, overlooking the entire bay of Naples, with Mt. Vesuvius in the background, must be the vest view of any DoD school in the world. The school remained in this building until 1982. Eventually it included seventh and eighth grades and enrollment increased to almost 600 students.
In the autumn of 1967, the sixth fleet flagship was assigned to Gaeta, Italy, having moved from Villefrance, France. Students in grades 9-12 from Gaeta began attending Naples High School that fall.
In 1982, the high school moved to the Agnano facility, called the “horse shoe,” because of its distinctive shape. That year all the elementary students were combined in the school complex at Pinetamare, twenty miles north of Naples. In 1984, the name of the school was changed to Naples High School, in accordance with DoDDS policy to have school names better reflect their locations.
During the mid-1990’s construction was begun on a new US Navy Support Site north of Naples, near Gricignano di Aversa, which would eventually include all the support services located in Agnano and a large housing complex. New elementary and high schools were the first buildings opened at the US Navy Support Site. In August 1997 Naples Elementary School and Naples High Schools opened at the US Navy Support Site and welcomed 950 elementary and 560 high school students.
Naples High School continues the use of the traditional colors of green and white and the Wildcat mascot. Families from many nations are assigned to the AFSOUTH (Allied Forces Southern Europe) and American installations in the greater Naples and Gaeta area. Students from the following nations have attended our school in recent years: Bulgaria, Canada, Greece, Italy, Poland, Rumania, Spain, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and the USA.
Naples High School has transitioned through the years from one room in a hotel to its present modern facility with Internet connectivity in every classroom. School programs have moved from correspondence courses to such state of the art courses as the Cisco Networking Academy, Computer Services and Support, and advanced placement courses in English, mathematics, science, history, computer programming, and art. Support services are provided in English, reading, mathematics, and learning strategies. Students who are “in the middle” and show academic potential are provided support through the AVID program. Study trips, athletic competitions, and honors workshops insure that students enjoy life beyond the classroom in the culturally rich environment in which families are located in Italy
In 1992, General Colin Powell, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, awarded the prize for his strategy essay competition at the National Defense University to Lieutenant Colonel Charles Dunlap for ‘The Origins of the American Military Coup of 2012’. Rumor is, Colonel Dunlap’s essay has been circulating among the military’s top brass and strategists.
The original links to the information above — available back in 2005 — have all disappeared. Any alternate copies of Gen. Dunlap’s (Ret.) essay are available on only a handful of websites at this time.
Thanks to Archive.org, I was able to reconstruct the links.